Courage for America Condemns Rep. Stefanik for Cosponsoring Gaetz’ Resolution Downplaying Trump’s Role in Deadly Insurrection
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, MAGA extremist Rep. Matt Gaetz introduced a resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives in a deliberate attempt to minimize former President Donald Trump’s involvement in the deadly insurrection that occurred on January 6, 2021. Dozens of Republicans in Congress, including Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (NY-21) have cosponsored the resolution—once again showing that the U.S. House is controlled by the most extreme and out-of-touch members of the Republican caucus.
“MAGA Republicans like Stefanik and Gaetz are relentlessly trying to rewrite history by minimizing the insurrection and downplaying the role Donald Trump played in inciting it,” said Courage for America spokesperson Albert Fujii in response. “From defending the criminals that left five people dead and over 140 officers injured, to continuing to spread baseless conspiracy theories about the attack, it’s clear these extremists would rather fan the flames of political violence than defend the Constitution they were sworn to protect. Stefanik must answer to her constituents for this betrayal.”
“This resolution is a slap in the face to those of us who almost lost everything defending the Capitol on January 6th, including protecting some of the very Members of Congress who are now attempting to rewrite history to exonerate former President Trump,” said Officer Michael Fanone, a former D.C. police officer who was seriously injured while defending the Capitol on January 6th, 2021.
Rep. Stefanik’s record speaks for itself:
- Stefanik voted to overturn the election results in 2020.
- Stefanik voted against establishing the bipartisan January 6th investigative committees.
- Stefanik signed onto a ridiculous legal effort led by now-Speaker Mike Johnson, which supported a Texas lawsuit that sought to invalidate millions of votes and overturn the election results from four key swing states that President Joe Biden won.
- Stefanik—without evidence—supports election audits in states like Arizona.
- Stefanik called the prosecutions of former President Donald Trump, which are based on witness testimony and mountains of damning evidence, a “sham” and “a dark day for our country.”
Text of the Resolution:
“Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that former President Donald J. Trump did not engage in insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or give aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.
Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that former President Donald J. Trump did not “engage in insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or give aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.’”