ICYMI: Courage for America Launches National Campaign to Stop a MAGA Shutdown
Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s office refused to accept a petition with over 115,000 signatories
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Yesterday, Courage for America launched a national campaign to stop a MAGA shutdown, which would harm millions of Americans, especially our troops, veterans, seniors and people with disabilities. In the morning, Courage for America launched a significant six-figure TV and digital ad campaign targeting over a dozen extreme House Republicans, including Lauren Boebert (CO-03) and Matt Gaetz (FL-01).
In addition to the national ad launch, Courage for America hosted Gen Z social media influencers on Capitol Hill yesterday. They met with Representatives Veronica Escobar, Lauren Underwood, Mark Takano and Maxwell Frost, to discuss why Gen Z Americans are opposed to MAGA extremists shutting down the government and holding our democracy hostage. In partnership with MoveOn, Win Without War and Americans for Tax Fairness, the influencers attempted to deliver a petition with over 115,000 signatories to the office of Speaker Kevin McCarthy, urging him to stop a MAGA shutdown. However, McCarthy’s office refused to accept the petitions.
“Courage for America was built for times like this – when our Congressional leaders need reminding, through the stories of everyday Americans, that their job is to fight for all of us. That’s why we are going on the offensive, taking the fight to their home turf in order to stop a MAGA shutdown before it’s too late,” said José Morales Jr., spokesperson for Courage for America. “While unsurprising, it is deeply disappointing that Speaker Kevin McCarthy refused to listen to the voices of thousands of Americans who are concerned about a government shutdown and the deep cuts MAGA extremists are pushing for. Courage for America will ensure their voices will not be silenced.”
“Let’s be clear: the Republican Party’s brinkmanship will have dangerous consequences for the economy and working families will be the ones paying the price. The GOP are risking an economic catastrophe for cuts that would make life harder for everyday people – raising costs for families and hurting students, seniors, and rural communities. Their MAGA chaos agenda is out-of-step with the vast majority of the country on the issues that actually impact their day-to-day lives. It’s time for House Republicans to do their jobs and stop holding our communities hostage,” said Rahna Epting, Executive Director of MoveOn.
(All images free for use with credit to Courage for America)
(Gen Z social media influencers gather together in the Capitol rotunda)
(Influencers attempt to deliver petitions to Speaker McCarthy’s office)
(Nikita Redkar in conversation with Rep. Maxwell Frost)
(Influencers in conversation with Rep. Lauren Underwood)
(Matt Bernstein meeting with Rep. Mark Takano)
To speak with one of the social media influencers or a Courage for America spokesperson, contact [email protected]
About Courage for America
Courage For America is a campaign advised by a council of proud Americans speaking out against an extreme MAGA agenda that puts money and power over the rights and freedoms of the American people. The campaign is amplifying the voices of Americans in communities across the country — veterans, educators, faith leaders, and more — to demand the People’s House works for the people.
About the Influencers
- Andrew Townsend (TikTok) is a creator who creates fun facts focused content about various topics. Originally from Ohio, he is now based in Florida and finishing college.
- Chante Reddest (Instagram and TikTok) is a creator who creates content primarily about his culture. He is focused on creating content that inspires the next generation and is passionate about various issues.
- Jose Enrique Aguilar Hernandez (Instagram and TikTok) is a creator who primarily creates skits and comedic content. He often comments on issues he is passionate about in partnership with nonprofits.
- Matt Bernstein (Instagram and TikTok), popularly known as ‘mattxiv’, is creator and podcast host who creates content primarily educating his audience on various LGBTQ+ issues.
- Nikita Redkar (Instagram and TikTok) is a writer, comedian and actor based out of New York City. Originally from Texas, the plethora of shows she has written or been featured in can be found on her website.
- Richie Fontane (Instagram and TikTok) is a comedian and content creator best known for hosting his comedy show Late Night with Richie Fontane. He is currently on tour, selling out shows across the United States.
- Schuyler Bailar (Instagram), also known as ‘Pinkmantaray’, is an educator, author, advocate and content creator. He is the first transgender athlete to compete in any sport on the NCAA Division 1 Men’s team.
- Syanne Bloom (Instagram and TikTok) is more than just a model; she’s a voice. She is a leading disability rights activist, political science scholar, and sought-after professional model. Beyond the runway, she’s a dedicated Council member for Courage for America.