ICYMI: MAGA House Silent On Trump’s Call to “Terminate” Constitution
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Over the weekend, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, Donald Trump, called for the U.S. Constitution to be terminated so that he could be reinstalled as president despite losing the 2020 election.
“While a few Republicans have stood up in defense of the constitution by rebuking Trump’s dangerously anti-American demand to tear up the constitution, MAGA leaders in House — including potential future Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy — have largely stayed silent,” said Zac Petkanas, senior advisor to the House Accountability War Room. “They have a duty to call out this extreme statement from the de facto leader of their party and defend the constitution they took an oath to protect.”
- NBC News: “Top Republicans stay silent on Trump’s call to terminate the Constitution.”
- Washington Post: “GOP lawmakers largely silent after Trump suggests ‘termination’ of Constitution.”
- USA Today: “Republican leaders mostly silent over Donald Trump’s call to suspend the Constitution.”
- New York Times: “Republicans were still cautious — or silent entirely — about shunning the former president-turned-2024 candidate.”
- Kevin McCarthy: “But far more remained silent, including Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader who hopes to become speaker when Republicans take control of the chamber in January, and who made a point last month of declaring that Republicans would read the Constitution aloud on the House floor on their first day in charge. Two press representatives for Mr. McCarthy did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Sunday.”
- Rep. David Joyce: “Rep. David Joyce (R-Ohio), chair of the Republican Governance Group, avoided answering directly when asked ABC’s ‘This Week’ about Trump’s comments, saying he ‘didn’t make a habit of speaking out on his tweet du jour’ when Trump was in office. When pressed by host George Stephanopoulos, Joyce said he would ‘support whoever the Republican nominee is’ — but didn’t think Trump would ‘be able to get there.’ ‘Well, first off, he hasn’t — he has no ability to suspend the Constitution,’ Joyce said. ‘You know, he says a lot of things, but that doesn’t mean that it’s ever going to happen.’”
- ABC News: “Trump’s call to suspend Constitution not a 2024 deal-breaker, leading House Republican says.”
For questions or additional commentary, please contact [email protected].
About the House Accountability War Room
The House Accountability War Room is an independent rapid response operation led by veteran war room strategist Zac Petkanas. The war room will leverage research, deploy messaging and engage partners to hold House leadership accountable as the caucus moves to take away core freedoms, distort the truth, and put the profits of corporations above the wellbeing of working families.