ICYMI — Rep. Dan Goldman in New York Daily News: “Congress Must Investigate George Santos”
Calls for Accountability Grow As Even MAGA Lawmakers Like Reps. Gallagher and Johnson Say Santos Shouldn’t Be Seated Until He’s Investigated
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Yesterday, Reps. Dan Goldman (D-NY) and Richie Torres (D-NY) filed an ethics complaint against fellow Congressman George Santos (R-NY) after he admitted to lying about most aspects of his life—from his religion and residence, to his education, work history, and financial disclosures.
Following introducing the complaint to the House Ethics Committee, Congressman Goldman penned an op-ed in the New York Daily Newsdemanding Congress to immediately launch an ethics investigation into Santos’ misconduct and calling on lawmakers from both sides of the aisle to join him and Congressman Torres in pushing for accountability.
This latest effort to hold Santos accountable comes as groups like Courage for America organize in district and rally constituents to demand that Speaker McCarthy launch an ethics investigation, as more than 800 constituents who signed a letter calling on the House to investigate. Now, even extreme MAGA lawmakers like Reps. Troy Nehls (R-TX) are admitting that Santos cannot be trusted while some like Reps. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) and Dusty Johnson (R-SD) say he shouldn’t be seated.
The full piece can be read here, and key excerpts are included below:
- “While I take [my oath of office] seriously, it’s become increasingly clear that another newly-elected member from New York cannot be trusted to faithfully discharge the duties of his office because of the egregious pattern of lies he told to get elected. That person is George Santos from a nearby district covering parts of Long Island and Queens.”
- “Congress has an independent obligation to police itself to ensure that the oath we take — and the trust and responsibility we assume as representatives of the people — actually means something. If those who write our laws do not follow them, then we cannot credibly ask the American people to do so either.”
- “That’s why I, along with my fellow New York Rep. Ritchie Torres, filed a complaint with the House Ethics Committee to ensure that Santos is held accountable for defrauding the voters of New York’s 3rd Congressional District and potentially violating federal law.”
- “Sadly, Santos’ desecration of the concept of free and fair elections does not seem to be an issue for Republican leadership.While some Republicans have spoken out against Santos’ shocking lies — including my fellow newly-minted member from New York, Nick LaLota, who also called for an Ethics Committee investigation — GOP leadership has neither rebuked nor condemned Santos’ conduct.”
- “Despite what Republican leadership may believe, our democracy is not a joke. By seating Santos in Congress, House Republicans have confirmed once again that they do not value our democratic ideals, our free and fair elections, or the rule of law as much as they care about their own power. Santos’ shocking conduct is simply a natural outgrowth of the Republican Party’s attack on democracy over the past six years.”
- “It’s therefore clear that we cannot trust House Republican leadership to hold Santos accountable. In fact, they are already making moves to ensure that it will be harder to hold lawmakers like Santos accountable by gutting the Office of Congressional Ethics before an investigation can even begin.”
- “New Yorkers — and Americans at large — deserve leaders who uphold their oath of office, adhere to the truth, and serve with integrity. If we do not police our own, both the institution, and the individual elected officials, will suffer the reputational consequences.”
- “Every member of the House of Representatives — Democrats, Republicans, and Independents alike — should therefore join me and Torres in demanding an immediate ethics investigation into Santos’ misconduct. Anything less is a dereliction of duty.”