Officer Michael Fanone Statement on Potential Stefanik Censure
“Rep. Elise Stefanik is an insurrectionist who should be held accountable for her efforts to undermine our democracy.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, former D.C. Police Officer and Courage for America Councilmember Michael Fanone released the following statement after Rep. Dan Goldman announced he would file a formal censure of Rep. Elise Stefanik. Officer Fanone was severely injured while defending the Capitol against insurrectionists on January 6th, 2021.
“Rep. Elise Stefanik is an insurrectionist who should be held accountable for her efforts to undermine our democracy, from voting to overturn the 2020 election results to having the audacity to call those who attacked our Capitol ‘hostages.’ She is a national disgrace – to our democracy and all those who risked everything to defend it.”
- Rep. Stefanik voted to overturn the election results in 2020 and describes herself as “ultra MAGA.”
- Rep. Stefanik signed onto “an amicus brief in a Texas lawsuit to invalidate millions of votes and the election results from four key swing states that went for President-elect Joe Biden.”
- Rep. Stefanik repeatedly supported claims that the 2020 election was illegitimate to bolster her role in House leadership.
- Rep. Stefanik voted against establishing the January 6th investigative committees.
- According to End Citizens United and the Let America Vote Action Fund, Rep. Stefanik voted against all “of the major anti-corruption and voting rights legislation” in the 117th Congress.