TODAY: As McCarthy Addresses Wall Street, “Back Off Our Benefits” Bus Tour Responds With Press Conference, Petition Delivery Demanding End To Default Crisis
Courage for America and Advocates from Across the Country Demand McCarthy Stop Default Crisis to Threaten Cuts to Programs like Social Security, Medicare, SNAP, and Veterans’ Benefits
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, April 17, at 1:30 PM ET, as Speaker Kevin McCarthy delivers remarks on Wall Street about forcing our nation to default and protecting wealthy billionaires and bankers, Courage for America will host a press conference at the U.S. Capitol to conclude its cross-country “Back Off Our Benefits” bus tour.
After 20 days on the road and events in 13 congressional districts, advocates and constituents will call on Speaker McCarthy and MAGA lawmakers to stop using the default crisis as an excuse to threaten cuts to life-saving programs like Social Security, Medicare, SNAP, and veterans’ benefits.
Following the press conference, the group will hand-deliver a petition to Speaker McCarthy’s office signed by Americans from across the country calling on him to make a promise to Americans that he will not cut their hard-earned benefits
RSVP for the Press Conference Here
For photos, videos, local news clips, and more information on the tour, visit our press kit or contact [email protected].
“Back Off Our Benefits” Press Conference at U.S. Capitol
- Congressman John B. Larson (D, CT-01)
- Laura Packard, executive director of Health Care Voter
- Michael Fanone, former MPD Officer and Courage for America council member
- Naveed Shah, political director of Common Defense
- Syanne Centeno-Bloom, disability rights activist
- Imelda Ceja-Butkiewicz, a McCarthy constituent and public health advocate
- WHEN: Today, April 17 at 1:30 PM ET (check-in begins at 1 PM ET)
- WHERE: U.S. Capitol (Parcel 11, across the street from Cannon House office building)
***B-ROLL AND PHOTO VISUAL: Community leaders and constituents holding “Back Off Our Benefits” signs, speakers calling out MAGA Republicans in front of the Capitol Building***