Courage for America Statement on Reintroduction of John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act
Clear contrast to draconian MAGA voter suppression legislation, The Big Lie Bill
Washington, D.C. — Today, members of the House Democratic Caucus reintroduced the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, generational pro-democracy legislation named in honor of the civil rights hero. The legislation strengthens the freedom to vote – standing in stark contrast with the extreme Republican Big Lie Bill, a blueprint for voter suppression.
“We stand on the shoulders of giants like Rep. John Lewis in our generational fight against anti-democratic forces that seek to divide us,” said José Morales, Jr., spokesperson for Courage for America. “MAGA extremism is dedicated to throwing sand in the gears of democracy and pushing draconian voter suppression legislation. In contrast, our communities are ready to answer the call of Rep. Lewis by safeguarding our democracy and the sacred right to vote.”
“In his final charge to us, Rep. John Lewis said, ‘Democracy is not a state. It is an act, and each generation must do its part to help build what we called the Beloved Community, a nation and world society at peace with itself.’ At this inflection point for our democracy, we can choose the Beloved Community or the Big Lie. This is no choice at all. Courage for America and the coalition we continue to grow stands with the communities across place, race and age working tirelessly to perfect our union,” Morales added.
Background on John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act:
- Strengthens “pre-clearance” to fight back against states and localities who push restrictions on voting that violate basic protections that allow people to vote.
- Enacts same-day and automatic voter registration, which will help reduce voting disparities by race, age and other factors.
- Bans partisan gerrymandering, so voters can choose their representatives instead of representatives choosing their voters.
Background on the Big Lie Bill:
- The Big Lie Bill, also known as the ACE Act, is MAGA Republicans’ newest scheme to make it harder for millions of Americans to vote, especially communities of color, people with disabilities and veterans.
- The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Bryan Steil, has gone as far as saying the Big Lie Bill is, “The most conservative election integrity bill to be seriously considered in the House in over 20 years.”
To learn more or to speak with a Courage for America spokesperson, contact [email protected].